Bread Sauce (served with meat or roast meals)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 Brown Onion
- 600ml Milk
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 6 Crushed Black Peppercorns
- 1 ¼ cups of Fresh Breadcrumbs (made from day old bread)
- ⅓ cup of thickened cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Press the cloves into the onion.
- Place onion, milk, bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until gently simmering.
- Set aside for 20 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Strain milk mixture through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.
- Discard onion, bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns.
- Add breadcrumbs to milk and stir to combine.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a heatproof jug and serve immediately.
Recipe by Anglicare North Queensland Limited.