St James’ Responsive Placement Service, funded through the Department of Child Safety, is a residential service that provides support to males between 12-17 years of age who are subject to statutory intervention and have experienced disrupted attachments, multiple placement breakdowns and have complex to extreme support needs. The service aims to offer a normalised, culturally sensitive environment conducive to the development of social and living skills in sustaining family and/or community placements.
St James supports young males in the care and protection of the Department of Child Safety in the North Queensland Region, Townsville, Aitkenvale and Thuringowa CSSC’s catchment areas. Residential Care is provided to young males living in small groups for 4 which may also accommodate sibling groups as negotiated.
St James’ Responsive Placement Service provides:
- practical support to young people in preparation for transitioning to independent living
- supporting the development and enhancement of the young person’s life skills and self-care
- assisting young people to develop or improve their social skills and relationships, including with family, peers and other social networks as appropriate
- increasing the young person’s access to information and community supports, including in relation to future accommodation, housing, health and income support
- facilitating access of young people to ongoing education, employment and skills acquisition opportunities.
Case planning and placement decision-making undertaken by Chi